Saturday, March 24, 2012

Breadscapes (March 24, 2012)

This looks like a barren foothill at dusk.
This weekend I decided to make some bread, as I often do on the weekend, since I like a bit of a break from working (and baking feels like an accomplishment, too!).

A volcanic landscape with rumpled rock & bare ridges or...
Baking bread also means I don't have to buy what they have at the shop, which I often don't like. Then there's the added bonus of being able to sample it fresh from the oven.

A river winding its way through a rocky valley spackled with snow.
  I decided not to try to cut the bread while it was piping hot because as delicious as it is, often the bread crumbles as it's being cut since the heat makes it very spongy.

Metamorphic rock in the making, or glacial ice, the blue bubbles pressed hard into strata?
So while I was waiting for the bread to cool, I put the loaf on a counter and took pictures of it sitting in the sunlight, because the patterns and shapes looked a lot like geographic formations when I "zoomed in" on them.

Bare boulders eroded by water?
The camera had some problems focussing when I tried to get too close to the bread, but I did like how abstract and alien the images started to look, especially after I converted them to black and white so their tan-brown colouring didn't provide a clue as to what was being photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment