Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bob's Bay (January, 2001)



I am posting this picture as a joyful reminder of what I am looking forward to... in less than three months' time I'll be a lot closer to Bob's Bay, which is at the top of the South Island in Aotearoa-New Zealand, in the Queen Charlotte Sound near Picton. The woodpile was a part of my impromptu camp-site.

I remember the first night, I slept only in my sleeping bag and didn't bother to put up the tent. In what must have been the early morning hours, I was woken by a snuffling and an odd, creaky vocalization somewhere in the bush off to my right. I thought to myself that it must have been some kind of toad croaking. I remember hearing also the sound of the now-high tide washing up not far from where I lay, pushing and pulling at the small stones on the beach. Then I fell asleep again.

In the morning, I shared stories with two other campers on the beach--in fact what I'd heard in the night had been a large, curious possum that had been hanging out around the beach, snuffling at tents and caught by the other campers' flashlight, no doubt startled and stock-still as possums usually are in the moment one catches them in a torch beam shooting out from the darkness.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment