Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Boat, Sunlight (July 12, 2009)



Crossing back over from the Isle of Wight to Southampton at around 6pm on a Sunday evening in the middle of summer.

Although I knew I was violating all those laws of photography that relate to over-exposure and having a 'textured white' in the photo, I really liked the way the boat looked--as if it was heading into some kind of conflagration on the left-hand side of the picture, perhaps a nuclear blast. Yes, that's morbid, I know. It was also the loveliness of the bright sunshine late in the day, and the sense of closure I always feel when watching the sunlight drop in the late afternoon and early evening, as if watching the day end in this age-old way has a kind of symbolic finality.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment