Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sidetracked: Cards!

Recently I ordered some business cards from Moo.com, on the recommendation of fellow York Education PhD student and Tweeter Kelly Bergstrom. Academic "conference season" is coming up and I was getting tired of my old cards, which didn't show my blog or Twitter information. Each these cards will also have a photograph of mine on one side. I thought I'd share the images I chose for the new cards, just for fun (and possibly some feedback--I wasn't sure which pictures to use!).

I was seduced into ordering from this company for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they allow one to choose many different photos instead of just a single image. Normally at local copy shops, you can only choose one picture file that is used for the whole order (if you're making greeting cards, for example). Another reason was that I've found you can't easily order funky, full-colour business cards from a regular copy shop either. Since I tend not to hand out many of these cards anyway, I opted for a very simple text on the back (with email, blog and Twitter information), and space to write in other details if necessary. Then I chose ten different photos, so there will be five of each in my order of 50. I can't wait to see what they look like (they've been shipped so I'm checking the mailbox)!

As I mentioned, I had a hard time deciding which images to use, and I had to cut my selection time short, because that's the kind of activity with which I could enjoy procrastinating for many hours. I just tried to make them diverse and interesting (and as broadly appealing as possible).


Via Moscova. Milan, Italy. May 13, 2007.


Blackboard with Einstein's handwriting. Museum of the History of Science, Oxford, England. July 11, 2009.


View from the Tararua Wind Farm. Manawatu, New Zealand. February 9, 2010.


Union Station, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. November 26, 2010.


Te Rerenga Wairua (Cape Reinga). Northland, New Zealand. January 19, 2010.


Cafe, Victoria & Albert Museum. London, England. March 7, 2008.


Potato plant, window & sunset. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. August 6, 2007.


Highway, clouds & sunlight. Near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. April 10, 2007.


Queen Elizabeth High School. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. 1996.


Watchers. Roof of the Duomo, Milan, Italy. May 27, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment