Thursday, August 27, 2009

Piazza del Duomo (May 24, 2007)



I took this picture from the roof of the Duomo in Milan, Italy. I think it was over 30 degrees (celcius) that day, and I was up on the roof of this white stone structure, trying not to get blinded and thus lose the opportunity of creating images like the one above.

This whole image is amusing to me because of its bizarre juxtapositions. Firstly, I am somehow high up above the scene, which is evident but not explicable by anything present in the image. Secondly--more obvious--there is an over-sized skeleton lying on the ground, which dwarfs the small crowd next to it. And the skeleton, in turn, has a very pointy nose. It makes me think of what one of those commedia dell'arte masks might look like if you removed the mask and found a real face, to match the contours of the facade, underneath.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment